Sunday, November 4, 2012

Two Going on Thirteen

I can't believe this girl is already TWO!!! It's amazing how time flies and how fast she has grown. Tonight as Brian and I were putting her to bed we told her about the day she was born. We talked about the cold weather and the time we spent cuddling and holding her. We told her about taking her home and snuggling and singing to her. What I didn't tell her is how much that day changed my life. Forever. I am so grateful to have spent the last two years learning to be her mom. I love the lessons I learn from her and the ones I learn from seeing things through her eyes. I am so lucky to have such a sweet little girl to teach me the patience I need as a mother.

I distinctly remember the first moment I saw her. It was the only time I really cried during the delivery process. The spirit that filled the room and the immediate and complete love that filled my heart were astounding. I will forever mark that as one of the most profound experiences of my life.

Today I feel so lucky to have this little sweetie in my life. Brian and I both marvel at all the things she learns and knows. She is such a smarty pants and has started into the 2-year-old phase of life. I am looking forward to seeing her with her little brother and becoming the wonderful big sister that I know she will be.

I love you Avery Mae!


This morning while we were eating pancake breakfast, Brian asked Avery how old she was. We worked a lot with her yesterday to start saying two instead of one and we wanted to see if she had caught on. Well, when Brian asked her this morning how old she was she yelled "THIRTEEN!" in quite the little demanding voice. Oh well, two-going-on-thirteen... what more could a mother ask for?


Last night we celebrated Avery's birthday with a house full of family members and way too many presents. Avery insisted on having Princess Belle on her cake, so I went to work on it during naptime. 

{Here is the first layer and some of the face done.}

{The finished product after freezing and peeling it off the wax paper. 
It held up for the most part, but I definitely learned a few tricks for the next one!}


As previously mentioned, Avery was spoiled with way too many gifts and loved opening all of them. Thank you to everyone who came to share her birthday with her- it was fun to have a full house!

By the end of the night Avery figured out how to open the taped boxes. She watched mommy do one and became an instant pro. I discovered her with the keys and a new box going at the tape. Surprisingly, she managed to cut through most of the tape on the sides and even got the key in the right spot. She is definitely too smart for her (or my) own good!

{Avery was definitely excited to find that Belle had made it onto her 
pink cake and LOVED having everyone sing Happy Birthday to her 
(something we have repeated many times since)!}

{Blowing out her candles}

Happy Birthday sweet girl! I love you to the moon and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment