Friday, October 26, 2012

A Day of Chicken

***Warning, lots of pictures, and not the super-cute-Avery pictures I usually post!***

I think today was one of the longest days of my life! I am getting to that point in my pregnancy where everything hurts, at least when I spend the whole day on my feet in the kitchen! And today was a day exactly like that. I got up 'early' (7am) and got Avery up so we could head to the Miracle Bowl in Orem. Last month I heard about an awesome deal to get 40 lbs of chicken for $1.69 per pound through Zaycon Foods. I jumped on the deal and today was the pickup day!

 I loaded Avery in the car with some hot warm cocoa and we were off!

I was not expecting the pickup to be so easy, but it was seriously a drive through. 
I was there for maybe three minutes tops and we were hitting the road again!

They loaded it in the back of my car and put a great little tarp down underneath.
The inside bag is sealed, but I was grateful they still put this down

 After our pickup, Avery and I headed straight to the grocery store.
I have been gathering some freezer meal recipes to make for after the baby arrives
and with all this fresh chicken, I knew I had to get on it today!

 I got home and cleared off all my counters,

 and set up my assembly line.

 I cut into my bag to find 4 bags of approx 10 lbs of chicken each.
This made it easier to work with, and again, I was surprised at how convenient they made this!

I started trimming the fat and even had a bowl for the smaller pieces to
keep from wasting my precious chicken!

 I cut some into chicken tenders, some into chunks, and left some as chicken breasts.

BIG THANK YOU to my mom for letting me borrow her FoodSaver!
It took some time, but this little tool will help keep our meat for longer.

 Bags and bags... and bags!

The one thing I was NOT prepared for is how long this would take.
Avery soon left the movie I had put on to find out what mom was doing.
As it turns out, she gets really frustrated when I try to lock her out of any given area.
This is as far as she could get under the gate and then would get her head stuck...

Hold on sweetie, just let me get a picture and then I'll get you out!

Here is 30 lbs of the chicken, trimmed, cut, bagged, and in the freezer.

Now Avery got to come help in the kitchen with all that yucky raw chicken cleaned up!

So, as if I wasn't already exhausted at this point... I started on the freezer meals!

 The remaining 10 lbs of chicken got split up into different freezer meals. 
These are the scraps that got cut and ended up in a yummy casserole.

Grocery line up

 Instead of the FoodSaver bags, our freezer meals went into Freezer Ziplocks.

And I got 4 freezer meals completed and just have three more to put together tomorrow!
We tried one of the freezer meals tonight (I doubled the batch) and we LOVED it, 
Avery included. At least I know we'll have one good meal after the baby comes.

I definitely feel like I had a successful day, but now I'm ready to sleep for the last 
2 months of my pregnancy. Who knew an ENTIRE day on your feet in the kitchen would
end up making your back hurt, your feet swell, and your sciatic nerve act up?

1 comment:

  1. I love your "just let me get a picture first"... I totally do that! :)

    ReplyDelete